Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Healthy Scones

Ok, so I am slack about posting recipes but here is what I made for breakfast today. They are very easy and very yummy! I make these different every time based on what I have at home, so I will give the basic recipe and you can change it to your heart's desire.
2 1/2 (or so) cups of flour- I use a combination of rye, wheat, and a little (like 1/2 c.) of white
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt (or none at all)
==============mix these together
1/4 c. real butter
==============add in with hands until crumbly
1 beaten egg
2 T. honey
=============add in- don't mix yet
Add in fun stuff-
any nuts, dried berries, raisins, etc.
Mashed banana, grated apples, etc.
Less healthy but more guest friendly-
dark chocolate with orange zest & juice for the moistener
white chocolate with cranberries
lemon poppy seed with lemon juice for the moistener
=============now mix but just enough to make it stick together.
Add milk (or the juices above) if needed (based on what you added you may need up to 4 T. but if you use apples or bananas, you won't need much if any) until just moist.
If you put too much then add more flour.
=============
Dump onto lightly (or heavily if needed) floured surface and knead a few times.
Pat into circle about 1/2in. thick. Cut into 8 triangles. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake until lightly brown on the bottom.
I have no idea the temperature. (my stove only has works on very high and very low so I bake everything on very low and it has no temperatures on it at all). Whatever you bake cookies or muffins on should be good.
Mmmm. These are good! Today I made apple walnut with cinnamon and nutmeg and I added about 1/2 c. oats just for fun. You seriously can't mess these up so just try out all different stuff in them.
Enjoy!

No comments: